Monday, November 26, 2012

Cloud Atlas: Need to watch 36 times..

Cloud Atlas, as Tom hanks told in an interview, is as risky as Inception. At that moment I couldn't understand what he meant. After Cloud Atlas, I could relate it to Inception. Inception, when I watched, I couldn't understand it fully. Then I watched it second time, it made some sense. Then, third time watch helped me to get the most out of it. I still don't say I have got 100% of it. But the story, screenplay, acting and the effects never allowed me to get bored. I watched it with same excitement all 3 times. Similarly, Cloud Atlas, is a much abstract version of the book which has been written by David Mitchell.



After watching it, I regret the fact that I acted without patience and pounced on the chance of watching it. Yet, I know book reading wood have been difficult. I feel Cloud Atlas is one of those book based movies where you should watch the movie first and then read the book.

The movie contains 6 stories running in parallel, and if we start relating all the 6 stories, it will not make sense. Although there is a thread that binds those stories, you will see same characters in same roles. Watching Tom Hanks in 6 different roles is a delight. He is a master of disguise in the movie. Ben Whishaw as well looks astonishing in his role(s), one needs to be a little focused to actually see him in all 6 stories. Halle Berry and other cast members make this movie a master piece.

I could understand the makers' point of view of repeating same cast in multiple stories, as it will separate the stories from each other, as you can see Tom Hanks in different roles and you would yourself make out which story is going on. The movie if not watched with interest may become extremely boring at times. My friend who was sitting besides me watching the movie slept two hours out of three. He must be cursing me for such a poor choice.

But i was going through the characters and their stories, I was least interested in Cloud Atlas as a whole movie, I took Tom Hanks characters, Ben whishaw's main character, Halle berry's characters and watched their stories with them. The portrayal of the world at different times is amazing and it really takes you through a journey of past and future in those three hours.

In the end, I was a happy person to go back home, because I could understand at least 3 of those 6 stories, and I saw an epic being portrayed on big screen. Though I just wonder if this masterpiece could have been made by Nolan, would it be same? He would have made it so dark and so interesting, that even the person who has no knowledge about the book and the stories, would have seen it with so much interest.

To me, movie created enough interest to pick up the book and then watch it again. I am not disappointed with the movie, as it delivered what I wanted to see: Tom Hanks in 6 roles!

No comments:

Post a Comment